Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Planning for a T-Shirt Shopping Spree!

And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.
~ Shel Silverstein

Now that I've learned my lesson, I'm ready to go back to the Goodwill store, stock up on used t-shirts - you know, the ones WITHOUT side seams! - and try again.  :)

As you saw in these pictures, the selection at this thrift shop is awesome!  In fact, I find it a bit overwhelming and paralyzing - I need some kind of color-based plan before I go back.  

So, guess where I turned for help?  Google, of course.  ;)

At first, I looked for color combination images and found TONS of inspiration.  For example:


Then I focused in on websites that help you create color combinations.  It turns out (as I guess quilters already know), there is a whole field of color theory and rules (or patterns) regarding what color combinations "go together".  Of all these websites, Kuler is my favorite (so far).  

I took some screen shots from the Kuler website, to show you how it works and their color combination rules.  All of these illustrations are based on the same color - a bright red - which is the middle block in the sequence of five blocks shown beneath the color wheel on each screen.  

Base: Bright Red
Rule: Analogous colors
Base: Bright Red
Rule: Monochromatically-related colors

Base: Bright Red
Rule: Triad-based colors

Base: Bright Red
Rule: Complementary colors

Base: Bright Red
Rule: Compound colors

Base: Bright Red
Rule: Alternative shades

Of course, you can change the base color to whatever you want.  I even found an app for my tablet that is very similar (here).  So, armed with an app, I feel prepared for battle!  My mission - 21 used t-shirts for seven rag rugs!  Wish me luck!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment