Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Making Yarn

One of the things that I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged.  Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.  
~ Lucille Ball

Step #1 (finding a thrift store with used t-shirts) was covered yesterday.

Step #2: Find one or more online tutorials showing me how to cut a used t-shirt to make yarn.

Google to the rescue (again!):

Step #2: Check!

Step #3: Try it

I picked up a cute knit top - t-shirt weight fabric - at the Goodwill near work.  (Settling on just one shirt was the hard part!)


While all the tutorials were generally similar, there were some differences.  I followed the instructions from the YouTube video.


Is that beautiful t-shirt yarn, or what?


Turns out, the answer is: OR WHAT...


The cute top I picked - the one that was not actually a t-shirt - had side seams:


And those side seams, that appear every few inches along my cut of yarn, pretty much ruin it.  :(

Step #4: Learn a valuable lesson the hard way.

Step #4: Check!  ;)


2 comments:

  1. Just look at it as practice with the cutting technique to warm up for the next batch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becky - As long as that is the only practice I need, I'm good with it! :)

      Delete