Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kicking it Up a Notch

A good goal is like strenuous exercise.
It makes you stretch.
~ Mary Kay Ash

For Valentine's Day I wanted to make my husband one of the Hawaiian shirts that he likes so much.  (I know, I know - Valentine's Day was last week...  Don't worry, he loves me!)

I've made him about 2 dozen in the past - all with the same pattern - a very, very (very!) basic casual shirt pattern from Simplicity.  It was a great pattern for a beginner - one piece collar, one piece back (no yoke), self-faced front pieces, symmetrically cut sleeves, etc.

I decided it was time to kick it up a notch and start making him some nicer, casual shirts.  

And I wasn't the least bit influenced by the fact that I couldn't find my old pattern...  ;)

So I picked up this McCall's pattern.  It has a two piece collar, a yoked back (with a single, centered pleat), button bands (that's new to me!) and should be less baggy...  (I don't want to use the "f" word in case my husband reads this post!)  




I have several Hawaiian-shirt fabrics already in my stash and I picked this one:  


I'm about half-way done - pictures to come!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment