Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The First Set of Rugs Leave the Loom

It is always sad when someone leaves home, unless they are simply going around the corner and will return in a few minutes with ice-cream sandwiches.  
~ Lemony Snicket

As I think I may have mentioned once or twice (or one million times) before, once the loom is set up, the weaving goes really quickly!  Look at this big roll on my front beam that contains FIVE completed rugs:  


I was so excited by my progress that I cut the rugs off the loom before getting to that part in my video lessons - and I quickly discovered that tying the fringe neatly is not so easy - the last row or two of t-shirt yarn wants to come apart and the warp threads don't necessarily stay distributed evenly across the rug:  


So, it's to the sewing machine I go!  I stitched down the outermost row on each side of each rug.  That big thick white stuff was my divider yarn - I put in five inches between each rug, hoping that 2.5 inches would be a good length for the fringe:  


This made all the difference - look how my outermost row of t-shirt yarn stays in place, with the warp threads evenly distributed:  


Everything is ready for the fringe knots - and the length turned out just perfect!  :)


I have A LOT more knots to tie - plus the wet finishing - before I can show off these five rugs...  But, I'm working on it!  ;)

So, my first five "babies" have left my loom - the only home they've ever known - and they won't be returning with ice-cream sandwiches...  

But don't feel sad for me, because there are seven more waiting to be born.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment