Monday, April 14, 2014

I've Started Cutting...

100 years ago, buying something you could make was considered wasteful;
now making something you could buy is considered wasteful.  
I am not convinced this is a step in the right direction.  
~ Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

I've enlisted the aid of an almost-14-year-old friend and we have begun cutting my used t-shirts into "tarn" (t-shirt yarn) for weaving rag rugs.  On Saturday, we completed five balls of tarn:  


We tried both 1 inch width cuts and 3/4 inch width cuts - I think either size will work just fine for weaving and the 1 inch cuts were a bit less error-prone.  

Okay, okay - our work hasn't reached the quality of the tarn rolls (or cakes) that can be purchased on Etsy:  


But, my argument is that "rag rugs" are allowed to look a bit raggedy...  ;)


"Whoa, Nelly!," Popeye exclaims, "That's one mighty fine looking tarn cake!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment