Monday, April 21, 2014

Fit to be Tied-Dyed

All things old become new again.  
In my youth the athletes had crew cuts and the hippies had long hair.  
Now the athletes have long hair and the hippies are bald.
~ Harley King

Our lovely, 17-year-old niece spent a long weekend with us and I introduced her to weaving rag rugs.  

That's either a benefit or drawback to being related to me - you are automatically introduced to all of my hobbies.  There's no need to ask...  

Or even to express the slightest interest, when it comes to that!  ;)

I bought some red-orange-yellow tie-dyed t-shirt yarn just for this occasion, and helped her weave a rag rug with three different sections.  The first section was a plain weave:  


The middle section had a chevron pattern:


And the last section had...  well, another pattern.  I don't know how to describe it.  


Once again, I'm not sure that the t-shirts that gave their lives for this yarn were actually "used" - because after a single washing, the white fringe turned into a delightful pink.  


She may not love weaving quite as much as I do, but I think she is happy with her rug.  :)


Here is a parting shot of our beautiful niece.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment