Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sleying Time...

Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; 
only when the clock stops does time come to life.
~ William Faulkner

So, the first step to warping your loom is putting each warp length through an individual slot in a piece called a "reed."  This process is called sleying the reed.  Here you can see my yarn wrapped around the front beam of the loom, in preparation for sleying the reed:  


Here you can see me holding the cross in my hand - after I've cut through the ends.  I'm going to pull the top thread off the cross, thread it through a slot in the reed, and then repeat this 239 more times!  


Just starting - only the first few threads are through the reed:  


Abracadabra...  All done!  ;)


All 240 warp lengths - the reed is sleyed!  

Ah, if only that was all there was to it...  I don't know if Faulkner was right that clocks slay time, but warping a loom certainly does!  Wait until you see the next step!  

No comments:

Post a Comment