Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Peek Inside: The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques

The look is elegant and sacrilegious and makes me feel sacred and immoral.  
Haute couture and getting hauter.  
~ Chuck Palahniuk

The last score of my Columbus Day shopping expedition is this book: The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard.  



Hopefully you can make out the techniques that are covered in the book from these photos of the Table of Contents:  






What really pushed me to purchase the book (besides the 50% off coupon that I had burning a hole in my pocket) was the first section on bindings and finishes.  Here are a couple of close-up pages from the section on finishing a v-neck knit top:  



You can see that it is full of detailed photographs of each step of the process.  



You may remember that I've tried one or two knit tops and...  Hmmm...  

How do I put this?  

Let's just say that I did not come out "on top".  ;)

So, this is on my short list of things that I want to learn how to do and hopefully this book will help me conquer the next knit top that I try!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I think I will see if the library has that book so I can look at it thoroughly before it goes on a wish list. It looks as if it is full of useful tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, That's a good idea - I really should use our library more often. I haven't tried the neck binding yet - my free time has mostly gone to weaving - but I'll let everyone know if it helps as much as it seems like it will. :)
      Take care,
      Gwen

      Delete