Monday, March 4, 2013

My First Button Band

If you are not confused, you're not paying attention.
~ Tom Peters

Well, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but it didn't seem all that difficult...

The first steps were to interface the 2 button bands and then fold and press 5/8th inch along one long edge:



Next they get folded (inside out) along the mid-line:


Then the bottom was stitched closed and trimmed:  



And they were turned right-side out again - finishing the bottom edge:  


Then it was time to attach them to the shirt.  The unpressed, raw edge was aligned along the raw edge of the front center of the shirt and stitched:  


I graded the seam and pressed it in towards the band (away from the front of the shirt):  


Finally, the band was folded over onto itself and I stitched in the ditch to complete it.  (Slip stitching was another option.)  


It generally went pretty easily and came out pretty good.  The only issue I had was that the bottom didn't line up quite as nicely as when the shirt is self-faced...  

I don't know why I've dreaded these and avoided them for so long - it really wasn't too bad.  Tomorrow I've got pictures of the final shirt being modeled by a certain handsome someone...  ;)

What about you?  Do you prefer a button band or a pattern with a self-faced shirt front?  What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of the button band?  

2 comments:

  1. Great sewing! A placket is more tailored looking and more expensive on a RTW shirt than a cut-on facing. A stand-up collar or collar band looks nicer, I think, with a placket. On the other hand, a cut-on facing is beautiful with some collars such as a PeterPan. So, it depends on what style one is going for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gwen - this is very interesting! For some reason, I just assumed that the separate button band was always better - but it's good to know that each type has its role, depending on the style. :)
      Thanks! :)
      I hope the preparation for the move is going well. :)
      All the best,
      Gwen

      Delete