Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

I always pass on good advice.  
It is the only thing to do with it.  
It is never of any use to oneself.
~ Oscar Wilde

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Oscar Wilde on this one.  ;)

Last week I had two related posts where I asked for advice - one on hemming RTW pants and one on recommendations for good quality hand sewing needles.  

As usual, you guys came through with great advice - which I find to be of tremendous use for myself!  

And I'm going to pass it on too.  ;)

When it comes to hemming RTW pants, Sarah, Gwen, Debbie and Claire each chimed in with good thoughts and when you put their advice together you get a comprehensive plan of action:  

  1. Wash them a couple of times to make sure that they shrink as much as they are going to shrink.  
  2. Trim to 1.25 inches longer than desired length.  
  3. Finish new raw edge.  
  4. Fold up once and hem by hand.  

Gwen also had a brilliant suggestion - if your pants narrow towards the ankles and aren't quite wide enough when you fold them up, you can open up the side seams and the inseams a tiny bit, to get some extra width.  

Thanks!  Next time I will be prepared!  (And, sadly, with this body, there WILL be a next time...)  

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding hand sewing needles, Claire recommended two brands:




...and...




Thanks, Claire - I will give both of these brands a try.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment