Thursday, January 3, 2013

Santa's Post-Christmas Sewing Sweat Shop: Day Three

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.
~ Unknown

Two of my friends / co-workers requested the bed pocket - it hangs from the side of the bed and has pockets to hold books, magazines, a T.V. remote, etc.  

The bed organizers only have 4 pieces - 2 main pieces and 2 pocket pieces:  



Interesting, the instructions never have you sew anything right-sides together.  The first step was to add binding along the top of the 2 pocket pieces (wrong sides together):  


Next, I added my label and then basted the 2 pocket pieces to the 2 main pieces - wrong sides together again:  


You can divide the single big pocket into any number of smaller pockets of the dimensions of your choice.  I just divided the pocket into 2 parts - one narrow for things like a remote control, phone or glasses and one wide for books & magazines:  


Oops - I forgot to take that shot with the blue fabric, so you can see the fabric chosen by my other friend / co-worker.  ;)

You can use a drinking glass to create the rounded the corners along the bottom edge - but this was a great opportunity to use one of the plastic shapes that I got recently.  Also, see my black chalk liner?  I LOVE that thing!  :)


The next step was to add bias binding along the sides and bottom:


I found the instructions for adding the piece of rubber a bit confusing, but some internet "research" helped.  It is added along the top of the organizer, with maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch overlap.  


Finally, that top edge gets covered up by bias binding.  A walking foot was recommended but I have trouble doing close edge stitching with a walking foot, and so I used my regular foot and it handled the multiple layers just fine:  


Here I "model" one of the organizers on our sofa - you can see how the rubber sheet goes under the cushion:  



And with the cushion in place:  



That's 7 out of 9 Christmas gifts done!  Yay!  :)

If you are thinking that I'm running a bit late, remember that one year I wove their gifts on my floor loom and didn't finish until the end of May - so, the bar has been set pretty low!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wow Gwen, when you sew, you SEW! You're doing a terrific job of all those gifts. One day, I hope to see more of your fabulous weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. :)
      I got some t-shirt "yarn" for Christmas that I am looking forward to weaving into a rug - that should be a fun and fast project! I can't wait to get started and post some pictures... :)

      Delete