What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.
Two of my friends / co-workers requested the bed pocket - it hangs from the side of the bed and has pockets to hold books, magazines, a T.V. remote, etc.
The bed organizers only have 4 pieces - 2 main pieces and 2 pocket pieces:
Interesting, the instructions never have you sew anything right-sides together. The first step was to add binding along the top of the 2 pocket pieces (wrong sides together):
Next, I added my label and then basted the 2 pocket pieces to the 2 main pieces - wrong sides together again:
You can divide the single big pocket into any number of smaller pockets of the dimensions of your choice. I just divided the pocket into 2 parts - one narrow for things like a remote control, phone or glasses and one wide for books & magazines:
Oops - I forgot to take that shot with the blue fabric, so you can see the fabric chosen by my other friend / co-worker. ;)
You can use a drinking glass to create the rounded the corners along the bottom edge - but this was a great opportunity to use one of the plastic shapes that I got recently. Also, see my black chalk liner? I LOVE that thing! :)
The next step was to add bias binding along the sides and bottom:
I found the instructions for adding the piece of rubber a bit confusing, but some internet "research" helped. It is added along the top of the organizer, with maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch overlap.
Finally, that top edge gets covered up by bias binding. A walking foot was recommended but I have trouble doing close edge stitching with a walking foot, and so I used my regular foot and it handled the multiple layers just fine:
Here I "model" one of the organizers on our sofa - you can see how the rubber sheet goes under the cushion:
And with the cushion in place:
That's 7 out of 9 Christmas gifts done! Yay! :)
If you are thinking that I'm running a bit late, remember that one year I wove their gifts on my floor loom and didn't finish until the end of May - so, the bar has been set pretty low! ;)