Friday, January 23, 2015

My First "Weave-Along"

Everything must be made as simple as possible.
But not simpler.  
~ Albert Einstein

I belong to a Backstrap Weaver's Group on Ravelry and the moderator, Laverne Waddington, has proposed a Key Fob Weave Along.

Before agreeing to participate, I thought I'd better find out exactly how a Weave Along (WAL) works - what are the rules?  What exactly would I be committing myself to?

Well, turns out it's pretty complicated - but I'll try to break it down for you...
  1. The start date is January 24th.  
  2. Try to weave some key fobs.  
  3. Post pictures when you do.
  4. Leave nice comments for other people's pictures.  
  5. No end date.  
Yikes!  Did you get all that?  Is your head just all in a whirl?  ;)

Hmmm...  That's an awful lot to commit to, but I think I'm going to give it a try.  ;)

Okay, there is actually one more guideline.  Laverne has encouraged us all to warp and weave only one key fob at a time - instead of preparing a long warp and then weaving lots of key fobs on it.  This way, we'll get practice preparing warps - something I sorely need!  

Here are some of Laverne's past key fobs:


Aren't they gorgeous?  Mine are not going to look like those - I can't do patterns like that yet.  Mine will be more along the lines of vertical and horizontal lines - maybe more like these:


I have picked out my yarn:



Aren't those beautiful colors?  I'm so happy with them!  :)

This will be the narrowest yarn I've ever woven with - it is crochet cotton size 10.    

So, I know the rules and I have my yarn - I am ready for my first WAL!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment