Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Comparisons

Undoubtedly, philosophers are in the right when they tell us that
nothing is great or little otherwise than by comparison.  
~ Jonathan Swift

You may remember that I've been experimenting with a new pattern for my husband's Hawaiian shirts.  Being a total sweetheart, he agreed to pose in three shirts, each one made from a different pattern.  

  • The Simplicity pattern is the oldest and the simplest.  It has a one piece collar (no collar stand) and no yoke.  It is too simple for me.  
  • The McCall's pattern is the fanciest - it has a two piece collar and a yoke.  It is too fancy for my husband.  
  • The Kwik Sew pattern is the new one I am testing now.  I have been hoping it would be a good compromise - a yoke for me and one piece collar for him.  

Here are the front views (all three were sewn up in size "Medium"):  


And here is the back view:  


Besides the obvious first thought - Wow, he's hot! - (or is that just me?) - what do you think?  

We are both happy with the Kwik Sew pattern.  The Simplicity pattern is too shapeless and the McCall's pattern is too fitted.  

The only thing I'm going to do differently has to do with the back pleats.  The McCall's pattern has a center back pleat and the Kwik Sew pattern has two back pleats over the shoulder blades.  I prefer the look of the center back pleat.  I think (fingers crossed) that I can modify the Kwik Sew pattern to have a center back pleat by myself.  

I think we have a winner!  I am so happy!  :)

4 comments:

  1. I think moving the back pleats to the center should be uncomplicated. The shirt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! I'm really happy with this third pattern - isn't it interesting how different the 3 patterns are?

      Delete
  2. I prefer the Kwiksew on your 'hottie-hubby' ~ it does seem to be the most natural fit ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith! I just *knew* I wasn't the only one who thought that... ;)
      Happy New Year!

      Delete