Friday, January 3, 2014

Collars and Pockets

I saw a startling sight today, 
a politician with his hands in his own pockets.

Well, I wasn't able to finish them before going back to work, but I did make some more progress on the Christmas, Hawaiian shirts for my husband.  In particular, I got the collars attached.  

What is so significant about this step is that I pretty much hate this method of doing collars:  


At least the Kwik Sew pattern has one small point in its favor - they don't instruct you to clip the collar until after you have aligned the facings.  This way, you are guaranteed that the clips will be in the right place.  An outcome which I generally do not achieve if they have me clip the collar along some marks printed (optimistically) on the pattern pieces themselves...  ;)

I find that the last step, of turning over the clipped bit and stitching it down, works much better if I use my dressmaker's dummy to line everything up in 3D.  Trying to make it all work together when the fabric is flat is another disaster-in-waiting (DIW) for me.  (You can see my red-headed glass pins in the photo below)


In the end, I think the collars came out pretty well.  Here is the black, Route 66 shirt (front view):  


Here is the brown, national parks shirt (front view):  




And here is the brown, national parks shirt from the back - you can see the yoke and the two tucks (pleats?):  



As always, one of my favorite parts is deciding how to set up the pockets.  For the national parks shirt, I chose to highlight the Grand Tetons, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.  


My favorite pocket is on the black, Route 66 shirt.  I love how the New Mexico postcard fits diagonally, with the two Route 66 signs in the corners:  


So, I still have to put in the sleeves, do the side seams, the hems and the buttons and button holes - hopefully I can finish both shirts this weekend.  :)

I hope you enjoyed the holidays and are ready for 2014.  :)
Because, ready or not, here she comes!  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gwen - Happy New Year to you, Hubby & family :)
    The shirts look great - collars 'n' pockets have turned out v. well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! Thanks!
      Happy New Year to you and yours too! :)
      I hope 2014 is a wonderful year for you! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree about attaching that sort of collar. You could use it in the debate about which shirt pattern is best. I have not been sewing shirts for years now, but back when I did so pretty regularly, I liked the 2 part collars with a band and a collar.
    The tip about the facing was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! I'm so glad you liked the facing tip - thanks!
      Despite not loving this collar construction method, I think this shirt pattern is still going to be the best... (I've got comparison pictures coming on Tuesday.) How are you enjoying having a grand child? I hope 2014 is full of blessings for you and your family! :)
      --Gwen

      Delete