Tuesday, November 27, 2012

ESL Class Gifts

Every gift which is given, even though it be small, 
is in reality great, if it is given with affection.  
~ Pindar

Tonight is our ESL class Christmas party.  In my first year teaching ESL, I came up with an idea for a Christmas gift for my students and I've used it ever since.  

Sometime in November I have a class picture taken and then I email the file to Zazzle and have ceramic Christmas tree ornaments made for all of my students.  :)

Here is this year's ornament:  


I have the academic year printed on the back:  


Last year I chose the star shape:  


I had a big class last year and the picture didn't fit on a circle...  


And in 2010 I went with a postcard ornament:


My original thoughts were that this gift would increase their feeling of "belonging" and provide them with good memories for years to come.  

As usual, when it comes to my ESL class, I'm finding that I probably benefit as much as, if not more than, my students - as each year I put up one more ornament than the last year, and more and more memories of the amazing people that I have had the privilege of knowing fill my heart.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Where do you teach? ESL teaching is the most entertaining gig ever. The entire world encapsulated in one room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karren! :)
      I teach one night a week (1.5 hours) at a Catholic church here in Lakeland. It's a relatively new program (this is our 4th year) and it's not accredited or anything - but I love it! All of my students are Hispanic and I speak some Spanish, so I use Spanish in the classroom and structure my lessons around the similarities and differences between the 2 languages. :)
      Have you taught ESL? Did you teach abroad? It is wonderful, isn't it? :)

      Delete