Tuesday, December 17, 2013

It's Called "Leveraging"

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.  
~ Jimi Hendrix

One of the things that I did not love about the first batch of rugs was that some of the rugs looked out of proportion - too long for their width.  So, I did a bunch of measuring and staring at the rugs with squinty eyes and decided that 3, 12 inch stripes (for a total length of 36 inches) was a good look.  ;)

Rather than having to keep pulling out my tape measure, I "leveraged" an idea from the Crafsty class.  I cut a 12-inch piece of left-over grosgrain ribbon and pinned that to the first row of each new stripe that I started to weave.  


The teacher in the class actually used a roll of paper like you'd put in a cash register or adding machine - but she had a complicated pattern with lots of different lengths to mark out.  I was just using one length over and over again.

Plus, I didn't have a roll of paper on hand.  ;)

When my stripe was the length of the ribbon, I knew it was time to change colors.  :)

It worked like a charm!  

No comments:

Post a Comment