Monday, October 13, 2014

Weaving My Way Down the Road

People die... so love them every day.
Beauty fades... so look before it's gone.
Love changes... but not the love you give.
And if you love, you'll never be alone.
~ L. J. Smith

Well, on Friday I packed up my loom in my brand new loom bag and took off on a road trip with my friends.  We were headed up to Georgia, so that they could visit their son/brother who is incarcerated there.

We take this seven hour road trip about twice a year and we stay at a beautiful state park.  A year and a half ago, I convinced them to take a canoe ride with me in the lake.


One was easier to convince than the other!  ;)

This year, we found that the lake had been drained, due to problems with "foreign" plants taking over the ecosystem:


But we still enjoyed walking in the woods:



I should mention that I wasn't the only weaver on this trip. Remember those potholder looms that we used to play with as children? I took one for Mariana and she loved it!


I may be biased, but I think she has a natural feel for colors and patterns.  


While they were visiting, I  set up my backsrap loom outside of our hotel and enjoyed some weaving in the beautiful, Georgia weather!  

I'm doing another supplementary weft pattern on a narrower warp - about 5.5 inches wide:  



Yes, that lone little splash of pink is a mistake...  Or, as they call it in product design, a "feature."  ;)

I'm thinking that, once this is done, I can fold it a couple of times, stitch up the sides, add a button and make a small bag to carry around.  


If it comes out nicely, I may make several (in different colors) and give them as Christmas gifts - although, it's already October!  Yikes!  :(

Anyways, we got home safe and sound on Sunday night and I am enjoying a Columbus Day holiday before I have to get back to work.  I hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready for another week!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment