Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Weaving: A Team Sport?

I want my time to be taken up by chores, 
errands, appointments, and arguments. 
In other words, I want to get married.
~ Jarod Kintz

So, I am preparing a new warp for my loom - but when I pulled these five rag rugs off the loom (one, two, three, four and five), there was still some (unknown-to-me amount of) warp (the long white threads) left - and I have been wondering if there is enough to weave one more rug on this warp first.  

Of course, experienced weavers know how much warp they have at all times - but (in case you haven't noticed) I'm still kind of winging it...  ;)

Speaking of winging it, given that I had completed the five rugs that I wanted to get from this warp, I decided to take a little bit of a risk and see if I could fix this threading error:  


So I clipped those 3 threads that were twisted, untwisted them and tied them together again.  


Everything looks nice and straight - now we just have to wait and see if (a) the knots hold and (b) they don't look too lame in the rug - assuming, of course, that there is enough warp left for another rug!  ;)

My 17-year-old niece is visiting for a weekend in a couple of weeks, and I thought that she might enjoy trying her hand at weaving a rag rug for herself.  So, I'm going to get everything ready to go for her visit.  :)

Oh, there's one more loom issue that needs to be addressed before I will be ready to weave with my niece:  


I'm going to enlist my husband's help with this one...  

Man, when I first told him that I wanted a loom, I bet he never dreamed that he was signing on for a team sport!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment